FEB 07, 2018 9:00 AM PST

Animal Models for Tuberculosis Research

Speaker

Abstract

Tuberculosis (TB) is the No.1 cause of death due to a single infectious agent in the world today. According to the global report from World Health Organization, one third of world population is currently infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the causative agent of tuberculosis. Approximately 90% of those infected have latent TB and therefore are not infectious and have no TB symptoms; however, the remaining ~10% will develop active tuberculosis at some time during their lifetime, resulting in an estimated 10 million new TB cases and ~2 million deaths worldwide annually. While the successful implementation of DOTS (Directly Observed Treatment, Short-course) strategy has significantly decreased the global TB spread in the past two decades, the development of multidrug-resistant (MDR) and extremely drug-resistant (XDR) TB is now becoming a serious concern in high burden populations. To accelerate the global control of TB and limit the spread of drug-resistant TB, more effective anti-TB vaccines and drug regimens are needed. Additionally, it’s clear that we need a better understanding of the interaction between the M. tuberculosis and its host at the cellular and organism level. To address these questions, suitable experimental animal models of TB are required that mimic the course of human TB as well as reproduce the human body responses to TB vaccines and drug regimens. In this Webinare, we will highlight the different animal models in TB medical research, and discuss the issues around the appropriate choice of animal model in understanding host-pathogen interaction mechanisms during an M. tuberculsis infection, and evaluation of anti-TB vaccines and drugs. 


Show Resources
FEB 07, 2018 9:00 AM PST

Animal Models for Tuberculosis Research


Specialty

Animal Research

Animal Models

Animal Behavior

Research

Animal Sciences

Veterinary Sciences

Animals

Life Science

Research And Development

Brain

Cell

Neuroscience

Microbiology

Genetics

Animal Production

Geography

Europe84%

North America9%

South America2%

Registration Source

Website Visitors100%

Job Title

Medical Laboratory Technician23%

Medical Doctor/Specialist13%

Student11%

Research Scientist11%

Scientist11%

Post Doc11%

Executive6%

Educator/Faculty4%

Animal Care Lab Technician4%

Microbiologist2%

Veterinary Technician2%

Lab Management2%

Organization

Academic Institution45%

Hospital18%

Research Institute9%

Pharmaceutical Company7%

Government/public4%

Contract Research Organization (Cro)2%

Ambulatory Care2%

Non-Profit Organization2%

Industrial Company2%

Medical School2%

Biotech Company2%


Show Resources
Show Resources