JAN 27, 2022 5:00 AM PST

Wearable Sensors Track Life After Traumatic Hand Loss

WRITTEN BY: Tara Fernandes

Most of us are right-handed, and about 12 percent favor the left hand. However, according to experts, most day-to-day activities performed by adults involve both hands equally. 

Given this balanced reliance on both hands, what are the implications for individuals who have suffered from traumatic hand amputation and are now using a prosthesis?

To answer this question, Frey led a team that has developed a novel innovation that uses a series of wearable sensors to gauge the patterns of hand usage.

“Now we have evidence that shows experienced prosthesis users rely on their prosthetic hand during about 20% of daily activities and use their uninjured limb for the remaining 80%,” said the University of Missouri’s Scott Frey.

In some cases, patients may receive a hand transplant. After the recovery phase, Frey’s data shows that hand transplant recipients eventually demonstrate patterns closer to those of healthy adults—55 percent of activities in the dominant hand and 45 percent in the non-dominant one.

“Compared with conventional prosthesis users, graft recipients exhibited more extensive and natural functioning of the upper limbs during everyday activities,” wrote the authors.

One of the benefits of the sensors, says Frey, is that they can be used to continuously extract data on hand usage in a real-world setting over multiple days. This information would paint a more realistic picture of how the patient adapts to the prosthetic hand or transplant, as taking measurements in a clinical or laboratory setting may not reflect how they are truly functioning.

The data collected can also aid in the design of more targeted, personalized approaches to managing traumatic hand loss.

There are various factors resulting in the loss of a hand from injury during military combat situations or workplace accidents. By wearing two small sensors on both wrists as well as one sensor on the upper arm, the researchers continuously tracked arm movements of traumatic hand loss patients over a few days. Their goal in tracking hand movement is to minimize the risk of chronic one-handedness: a condition where the individual avoids using the injured limb.

Frey said the wearable sensors might also help collect research and diagnostic information on neurological conditions that affect hand functionality, such as stroke, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis.

In prior studies, Frey’s team made several important discoveries around how the reorganizational changes in the brain help hand transplant patients “re-learn” how to perform everyday tasks like reaching for and grasping objects.

About the Author
PhD
Interested in health technology and innovation.
You May Also Like
APR 27, 2022
Clinical & Molecular DX
Asthma Risk Increased in Children Conceived with Infertility Treatment
APR 27, 2022
Asthma Risk Increased in Children Conceived with Infertility Treatment
Asthma is a disease characterized by difficulty breathing, and an asthma attack can bring on bouts of coughing and wheez ...
MAY 12, 2022
Cancer
Crisis in Ukraine Disrupts Delivery of Critical Cancer Care
MAY 12, 2022
Crisis in Ukraine Disrupts Delivery of Critical Cancer Care
Many factors including the type of cancer, pathologic stage, and the general health and demographics of the patient, dic ...
MAY 24, 2022
Cardiology
Obesity in Pregnancy Increases Child's Risk of Heart Disease
MAY 24, 2022
Obesity in Pregnancy Increases Child's Risk of Heart Disease
Obesity and unhealthy diets cause gene expression changes that negatively impact the cardiac function of offspring.
MAY 26, 2022
Cardiology
Reducing Salt Intake Improves Heart Failure Symptoms
MAY 26, 2022
Reducing Salt Intake Improves Heart Failure Symptoms
Reducing sodium intake improves symptoms, but not hospitalizations or deaths, for heart failure patients.
JUN 01, 2022
Cell & Molecular Biology
How To Ship Your Lab Material Legally and Prevent Molecular Damage
JUN 01, 2022
How To Ship Your Lab Material Legally and Prevent Molecular Damage
How To Ship Your Lab Material Legally and Prevent Molecular Damage Written by Scott Weitze Shipping biological and molec ...
JUN 16, 2022
Neuroscience
Caffeine Can Cause Long-Term Changes in the Brain
JUN 16, 2022
Caffeine Can Cause Long-Term Changes in the Brain
It's estimated that as many as 80% of all people partake in the world's most common psychoactive substance, caffeine. Pe ...
Loading Comments...