OCT 16, 2017 5:33 AM PDT

Are Gamers Smarter?

Video games and the brain will always be a hotly debated topic. While some studies say they can desensitize players to real-world violence and cause brain damage and cognitive delays, other studies suggest that certain games help develop better decision-making skills.

There are rehab centers that use some games for stroke patients in recovery, and there have been studies that suggest patients with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia can benefit from gaming. Recent research from the Ruhr-Universität Bochum is making headlines for its suggestion that people who play video games on a regular basis can learn faster than those who do not.

The study was small, involving 17 volunteers who reported that they played computer and console video games for longer than 15 hours per week. Those participants were tested against a control group of 17 individuals who did not play video games. The cognitive testing used in the study is known as the “Weather prediction test” though it doesn’t involve trying to predict sunshine or storms. The test measures how well someone can learn to understand probability.

The game is played by researchers showing participants of a combination of three cards, each with a different symbol. They are then asked to estimate what the weather will be based on the symbols, and they are given feedback on the accuracy of their prediction. After a few rounds of this, participants learned that certain combinations of symbols were an indicator of sun and other combos indicated rain. At the same time as they were playing the game, study volunteers were undergoing MRI scans to record electrical activity in different regions of the brain.

To judge how well the test subjects had retained the material and the method of learning it, they were asked to fill out questionnaires after finishing the task that measured how much knowledge they had acquired as a result of the test.  The results showed that video gamers had a significantly better ability than non-players in predicting the “weather” based on the card combinations. Even when the combinations signaled a higher level of uncertainty in weather outcome (for example, a combination that indicated a 60% chance of rain and 40% chance of sun), the gamers were still better at predicting the outcome.

The gamers results on the questionnaires were also indicative of a larger volume of knowledge being acquired as compared to the control group who were not regular game players. First author Sabrina Schenk explained, “Our study shows that gamers are better in analysing a situation quickly, to generate new knowledge and to categorise facts -- especially in situations with high uncertainties. We think that playing video games trains certain brain regions like the hippocampus. That is not only important for young people, but also for older people; this is because changes in the hippocampus can lead to a decrease in memory performance. Maybe we can treat that with video games in the future."

Schenk also stated that the MRI scans showed a higher level of activity in the hippocampus of the gamers’ brains. The hippocampus is an area associated with memory and learning and is frequently the target of studies involving memory loss, dementia, and cognitive function. The video below has more information about the study and what it could mean for future research.

Sources: Ruhr-Universität Bochum, NerdReactor.com, Behavioral Brain Research via Science Direct

About the Author
  • I'm a writer living in the Boston area. My interests include cancer research, cardiology and neuroscience. I want to be part of using the Internet and social media to educate professionals and patients in a collaborative environment.
You May Also Like
JUL 06, 2021
Cell & Molecular Biology
Can Some Brain Plasticity Be Restored with Ketamine or Light?
JUL 06, 2021
Can Some Brain Plasticity Be Restored with Ketamine or Light?
The perineuronal net is known to play a crucial role in memory. This structure surrounds certain neurons, encasing their ...
JUL 16, 2021
Coronavirus
Focusing on the Cause of Neurological Symptoms of COVID-19
JUL 16, 2021
Focusing on the Cause of Neurological Symptoms of COVID-19
We now know that COVID-19 can cause a range of symptoms. Some of these problems are taking months to clear up in patient ...
AUG 04, 2021
Clinical & Molecular DX
Fear of Smells Could Help Diagnose Migraines in Kids
AUG 04, 2021
Fear of Smells Could Help Diagnose Migraines in Kids
  A new study suggests the intense dislike of pungent smells and odors could be a diagnostic marker for migraines a ...
AUG 08, 2021
Cell & Molecular Biology
How Stress Can Impact Gene Expression in the Brain
AUG 08, 2021
How Stress Can Impact Gene Expression in the Brain
University of Bristol researchers have learned more about how chronic stress may be linked to health problems, both phys ...
AUG 15, 2021
Neuroscience
Cats Prefer Free Food Over Food that Requires Effort
AUG 15, 2021
Cats Prefer Free Food Over Food that Requires Effort
If given a choice between a free meal and working for their food, domestic cats prefer the effort-free option. The study ...
AUG 18, 2021
Neuroscience
Histamine Regulates Serotonin Levels in Depression
AUG 18, 2021
Histamine Regulates Serotonin Levels in Depression
Heightened histamine levels from inflammation inhibit the effects of the mood-regulating neurotransmitter serotonin in t ...
Loading Comments...