NOV 12, 2018 7:58 PM PST

Steaks Aren't the Only Things We Get From Cows

WRITTEN BY: Anthony Bouchard

It’s no secret that cows are routinely slaughtered for beef, but what if we told you that only about 60% of the cow gets harvested for food? Fret not, as no part of the cow gets wasted; the other 40% goes on to mass-produce high-demand products.

Much of the cow’s fat, for example, is shipped to processing plants where it’s converted into tallow, an oily substance often used in various hygienic products like body creams, cosmetics, soaps, and even toothpaste. Tallow’s lubricating qualities also make it ideal for mechanical applications, such as in antifreeze, hydraulic brake fluids, and jet engines.

Specific organs of the cow go on to produce health-centric necessities. For example, the pancreas provides insulin injections for diabetics, and the adrenal gland plays an instrumental role in the development of some steroid medications. Traces of cartilage are used in medicines for patients with osteoporosis, while the lungs are used to produce blood thinners.

Indeed, cows provide more for humankind than just beef; they also deliver several necessities and life-saving products.  

About the Author
  • Fascinated by scientific discoveries and media, Anthony found his way here at LabRoots, where he would be able to dabble in the two. Anthony is a technology junkie that has vast experience in computer systems and automobile mechanics, as opposite as those sound.
You May Also Like
AUG 12, 2021
Plants & Animals
World Elephant Day - Elephant Conservation in Action
AUG 12, 2021
World Elephant Day - Elephant Conservation in Action
Elephants are the largest currently living land animals, and they are majestic. They must consume nearly 70,000 calories ...
AUG 12, 2021
Plants & Animals
Why Sunflower Heads Face East
AUG 12, 2021
Why Sunflower Heads Face East
You may have noticed that sunflowers can move their 'heads' or capitula to track the sun as its position changes during ...
AUG 31, 2021
Genetics & Genomics
A Method to Detect Genetically Modified Animals in the Environment
AUG 31, 2021
A Method to Detect Genetically Modified Animals in the Environment
Genetically modified mice, fruit flies, and zebrafish are commonly used in research. Scientists have now developed a met ...
SEP 07, 2021
Clinical & Molecular DX
Dogs Can Pick Up the 'Seizure Smell', Alert Their Owners
SEP 07, 2021
Dogs Can Pick Up the 'Seizure Smell', Alert Their Owners
Dogs offer so much more than companionship and unconditional love. New research shows that for patients with epilepsy, t ...
SEP 22, 2021
Earth & The Environment
Farming Fish Sustainably
SEP 22, 2021
Farming Fish Sustainably
Fish farming has become a necessary practice as the population grows. It can be controversial among some groups because ...
SEP 30, 2021
Plants & Animals
You Can Take Food Security Into Your Own Hands by Growing Microgreens
SEP 30, 2021
You Can Take Food Security Into Your Own Hands by Growing Microgreens
Microgreens might seem like a passing food trend to some, but to others they could be a way for individuals and families ...
Loading Comments...