NOV 17, 2019 9:18 AM PST

How Much Do You Know About Triton?

WRITTEN BY: Anthony Bouchard

Far beyond the reach of the terrestrial and gas giant planets in our solar system exists an entirely different class of world known as ice giants. Uranus and Neptune are among this distinct class of chilly worlds, and astronomers have long been challenged to make close-up observations of these planets due to their sheer distance from the Earth. The closest we ever got was NASA’s Voyager 2 mission in the 70s, and it uncovered some particularly captivating details regarding Neptune’s largest natural satellite: Triton.

Triton is interesting because of its sheer size compared to other lunar bodies, and in the Neptunian system, it actually comprises of 99% of the lunar mass, with the other 1% being comprised of the rest of Neptune’s moons. The Voyager flyby also revealed what appeared to be frozen nitrogen and geysers erupting from the surface, which indicates some sort of geological activity from within.

Thanks to these geysers, Triton actually sports an atmosphere made almost entirely out of nitrogen. Albeit thin, the atmosphere is robust enough to support clouds, which are observable from up above. We can even observe winds on this distant world as those clouds are carried across the sky.

Another thing that makes Triton interesting to astronomers is its unique rotational pattern. While it appears tidally locked to Neptune just like the Moon is to Earth, it’s worth noting that Triton actually rotates in the opposite direction with regard to its parent planet. This observation, along with its unusual angle, gave rise to the idea that Triton may have once been a world in and of itself and was later stolen from space by Neptune’s gravitational influence.

Perhaps future missions will provide more insight into Triton’s unusual occurrence, but until now, its origins remain a mystery.

About the Author
  • Fascinated by scientific discoveries and media, Anthony found his way here at LabRoots, where he would be able to dabble in the two. Anthony is a technology junkie that has vast experience in computer systems and automobile mechanics, as opposite as those sound.
You May Also Like
NOV 07, 2020
Space & Astronomy
Scientists Discover Planet with Atmosphere of Vaporized Rock
NOV 07, 2020
Scientists Discover Planet with Atmosphere of Vaporized Rock
Researchers have identified an exoplanet that appears to have an atmosphere composed of vaporized rock and oceans runnin ...
NOV 09, 2020
Space & Astronomy
Icy Planet Between Saturn and Uranus Expelled from Solar System
NOV 09, 2020
Icy Planet Between Saturn and Uranus Expelled from Solar System
In mapping the original locations of Saturn and Jupiter in our Solar System, astronomers have found that there was once ...
NOV 20, 2020
Space & Astronomy
The Universe is Getting Hotter, not Cooler, as it Expands
NOV 20, 2020
The Universe is Getting Hotter, not Cooler, as it Expands
Up until now, scientists have theorized that as the Universe expands, its temperature has gradually declined. New resear ...
DEC 05, 2020
Space & Astronomy
First Sunspot Image From World's Largest Solar Telescope
DEC 05, 2020
First Sunspot Image From World's Largest Solar Telescope
The National Science Foundation's Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope produced this stunning image of a sunspot earlier thi ...
FEB 07, 2021
Space & Astronomy
NASA Promotes the Development of Hybrid Aircraft
FEB 07, 2021
NASA Promotes the Development of Hybrid Aircraft
Air travel is thought to be a significant contributor to emissions that lead to climate change. NASA is now launching an ...
MAR 08, 2021
Chemistry & Physics
Newly observed quasar jet sheds light on early galaxy formation
MAR 08, 2021
Newly observed quasar jet sheds light on early galaxy formation
New observations from the National Science Foundation's Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array (VLA) and Very Long Baseline ...
Loading Comments...