JAN 29, 2021 4:07 AM PST

The Potential Range of Mass of Dark Matter Narrows Dramatically

WRITTEN BY: Carmen Leitch

The part of the universe that we can see, which includes our planet and stars, makes up only around a quarter (25 percent) of the mass in the universe. The other 75 percent of the universe's mass is thought to be composed of dark matter, which we don't know how to measure or detect, but which we think gives galaxies their shapes. Researchers have now calculated the possible span of mass for dark matter, and it's a much tighter range than was previously thought. The findings, which will be reported in Physics Letters B, dramatically shorten the range of mass that dark matter particles might have. It might help scientists find dark matter in the future.

Image credit: Pixabay

In this work, the researchers leveraged the knowledge that gravity has an effect on dark matter just like it acts on the visible universe. They used this information to find the upper and lower limits of the mass of dark matter.

The research suggests that dark matter won't be 'ultra-light,' nor wilt be 'super-heavy' as some have speculated unless some force we haven't identified yet is acting on it. This work produced a range for dark matter mass of 10-3 eV to 107 eV. Previous estimates for this range have been much wider.

The scientists assumed that gravity is the only force acting on dark matter, which may or may not be true. That also suggests that if this range turns out to be incorrect, it will show that there is a force or are forces other than gravity that affect dark matter.

"This is the first time that anyone has thought to use what we know about quantum gravity as a way to calculate the mass range for dark matter. We were surprised when we realized no one had done it before, as were the fellow scientists reviewing our paper," noted study author Professor Xavier Calmet of the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences at the University of Sussex.

"What we've done shows that dark matter cannot be either 'ultra-light' or 'super-heavy' as some theorize - unless there is an as-yet-unknown additional force acting on it. This piece of research helps physicists in two ways: it focuses the search area for dark matter, and it will potentially also help reveal whether or not there is a mysterious unknown additional force in the universe."

"As a Ph.D. student, it's great to be able to work on research as exciting and impactful as this. Our findings are very good news for experimentalists as it will help them to get closer to discovering the true nature of dark matter," added study author and graduate candidate Folkert Kuipers, who works with Professor Calmet at the University of Sussex.

Sources: AAAS/Eurekalert! via University of Sussex, Physics Letters B

About the Author
  • Experienced research scientist and technical expert with authorships on over 30 peer-reviewed publications, traveler to over 70 countries, published photographer and internationally-exhibited painter, volunteer trained in disaster-response, CPR and DV counseling.
You May Also Like
APR 11, 2021
Space & Astronomy
Celebrating the International Day of Human Space Flight
APR 11, 2021
Celebrating the International Day of Human Space Flight
Earth's first satellite, Sputnik I, was launched into orbit on October 4, 1957. A few years later, Cosmonaut Yuri Gagari ...
MAY 09, 2021
Space & Astronomy
NASA's Ingenuity Helicopter Completes Its First One-Way Trip on Mars
MAY 09, 2021
NASA's Ingenuity Helicopter Completes Its First One-Way Trip on Mars
NASA sent the Perseverance rover to Mars loaded with cutting edge technology, one piece of which is a robotic helicopter ...
JUL 18, 2021
Earth & The Environment
Climate Change has Tilted the Axis of the Earth
JUL 18, 2021
Climate Change has Tilted the Axis of the Earth
The axis of the Earth intersects the planet at the magnetic pole, and Earth's poles are known to wander. They can even f ...
AUG 16, 2021
Space & Astronomy
'Mega-Comet' on Track to Visit Solar System in 2031
AUG 16, 2021
'Mega-Comet' on Track to Visit Solar System in 2031
Astronomers at the University of Pennsylvania have found an object that's on a trajectory that will take it past Saturni ...
AUG 17, 2021
Chemistry & Physics
Physicists Transform Pure Energy into Matter and Antimatter
AUG 17, 2021
Physicists Transform Pure Energy into Matter and Antimatter
A new study published in Physical Review Letters presents evidence for the creation of matter and antimatter from energy ...
AUG 27, 2021
Space & Astronomy
Researchers Model the Titan Moon in a Tube
AUG 27, 2021
Researchers Model the Titan Moon in a Tube
An image of Saturn's moon Titan on November 11, 1980 during Voyager 1's flyby. Courtesy NASA/JPL-CalTech/Kevin M. Gill
Loading Comments...