Influenza is a major clinical and public health issue. Rapid, accurate diagnostics for influenza have the potential to improve the efficacy of therapy, limit antibiotic over-use, conserve resources, and limit the spread of the disease in the health-care setting. Current influenza diagnostic tests vary widely in complexity, sensitivity, specificity, and cost; selection of the correct test by the laboratory, and appropriate interpretation of the test by providers, is essential to effective use of influenza diagnostics. The webinar will survey influenza disease, diagnostic approaches, and currently-available methods, placing them in the context of the clinical questions to be addressed, assisting participants in selecting and utilizing influenza diagnostic tests.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the clinical impact of influenza
- Recognize the importance of getting the flu vaccine
- Describe the properties of current influenza diagnostic methods
- Assess different platforms for molecular detection of flu and other respiratory viruses
- Interpret the results of influenza diagnostics in clinical context