DEC 01, 2020 5:39 AM PST

The price tag of prostate cancer treatment

New research published in The Journal of Urology from the Official Journal of the American Urological Association (AUA) reports on the price tag associated with prostate cancer in men. The study contemplates the financial toxicity of cancer care, referring to the “the distress or hardship experienced by patients due to the cost of cancer treatment."

Men diagnosed with localized prostate cancer have a choice of treatment options: active surveillance, radiation, or surgery. Too little attention has been given to analyzing the financial influence behind a patient’s decision-making process. Given that certain treatments carry different price tags, senior author Daniel A. Barocas, MD, MPH says: "Cost of treatment and the associated financial burden could be an important factor in treatment decisions.”

As one of the most common cancers in men, it is crucial to dig deeper into the financial side of cancer treatment. To investigate the relationship between financial burdens and treatment choice, the researchers analyzed data on 2,121 patients, comparing the financial burdens for patients choosing surgery (radical prostatectomy), external beam radiation therapy (EBRT), or active surveillance.

The findings were clear: "Our research shows radiation therapy seems to have the highest financial burden for patients with clinically localized prostate cancer, compared to surgery or active surveillance," says lead author Benjamin V. Stone, MD. "However, our study also shows there is a relatively small percentage of patients who experience a large or very large financial burden due to treatment, and the financial burden lessens over time."

This is evidenced by the response given by 15% of patients who reported experiencing "a large or very large" burden of treatment costs in the first six months following treatment. Meanwhile, 11% of patients who underwent EBRT reported financial toxicity.

Photo: Pexels

"Overall, our follow-up study suggests that radiation therapy has a longer-lasting burden of costs, compared to other initial treatment options for prostate cancer," the researchers state. They add that "The association of financial burden with socioeconomic factors such as race and education is in line with the results of previous studies in the United States and worldwide," Drs. Stone and Barocas and coauthors write.

Sources: The Journal of Urology, Eureka Alert

About the Author
  • Kathryn is a curious world-traveller interested in the intersection between nature, culture, history, and people. She has worked for environmental education non-profits and is a Spanish/English interpreter.
You May Also Like
OCT 28, 2020
Cancer
Protecting the Head and Neck from Off Target Radiation
OCT 28, 2020
Protecting the Head and Neck from Off Target Radiation
Radiotherapy alone or with chemotherapy is the go-to treatment for head and neck cancers. Unfortunately, head and neck t ...
NOV 18, 2020
Cancer
Could Targeting the Proteasome be Effective Against Cancer?
NOV 18, 2020
Could Targeting the Proteasome be Effective Against Cancer?
One of the trickiest things about anti-cancer drug design is targeting. Today, most drugs on the market target critical ...
NOV 14, 2020
Cancer
New intravenous anti-cancer therapy crosses blood-brain barrier
NOV 14, 2020
New intravenous anti-cancer therapy crosses blood-brain barrier
New research from the University of Michigan reports for the first time a new synthetic protein nanoparticle that is abl ...
NOV 22, 2020
Cancer
Unmet social needs influence patient breast health care
NOV 22, 2020
Unmet social needs influence patient breast health care
New research to be presented at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America will report on the breas ...
DEC 28, 2020
Cancer
Revealing a Critical Protein Involved in the Pentose Phosphate Pathway in Cancer
DEC 28, 2020
Revealing a Critical Protein Involved in the Pentose Phosphate Pathway in Cancer
The metabolism of cancer has interested scientists in recent decades. Many cancers conduct "normal" metabolism ...
JAN 14, 2021
Clinical & Molecular DX
Tip of the Iceberg: Inaccuracies in Prostate Cancer Diagnostics
JAN 14, 2021
Tip of the Iceberg: Inaccuracies in Prostate Cancer Diagnostics
  Only 10 percent of icebergs are visible on the surface of the water; the remaining 90 percent remains submerged. ...
Loading Comments...