AUG 13, 2021 12:01 AM PDT

15% of Employees Have Worked From Home While High

WRITTEN BY: Angela Dowden

Working from home became a huge (and successful) trend during the pandemic, and even with communities now re-opening, many businesses may never go back to the every-day-in-the-office model.

But while work productivity may be improved without commuting or water cooler chat, there are some behaviors it’s easier to get away with while home working — and for some employees that means being high during working hours.

To investigate this phenomenon, the American Marijuana website surveyed a thousand remote employees to find out their thoughts on and attitudes toward getting high while working from home.

The researchers found, that overall, 15 percent of remote employees had at some time in their careers worked from home under the influence of cannabis, with most of those employees reporting feeling decreased stress (52.9 percent) and increased creativity (51.1 percent) while doing so. Over 42 percent also claimed increased productivity while working under the influence.

Comparing pre- and mid pandemic, 47.3 percent of respondents who had ever gotten high while working from home reported that the first time they had so was during the pandemic. The remaining 52.7 percent reported they had worked from home and used weed before COVID-19 came along, however.

Mostly, employees used cannabis during breaks, but 35 percent of WFH users still either got caught, or had a boss or employer suspect they were under the influence.

Of those who were caught, 28 percent had their employment terminated, so it’s a big risk to take.

This survey has limitations because of its heavy reliance on self-report. For those with a statistical bent, the authors of the report suggest the margin of error for the study based on the U.S. population of remote workers (94.3 million Americans) is 3% with a 95% confidence level.

Sources: American Marijuana, Ganjapreneur

 

About the Author
  • I'm a journalist and author with many year's experience of writing for both a consumer and professional audience, mostly on nutrition, health and medical prescribing. My background is food science and I'm a registered nutritionist.
You May Also Like
AUG 26, 2021
Immunology
Sugar-Coating Organs Stops Them From Getting Rejected
AUG 26, 2021
Sugar-Coating Organs Stops Them From Getting Rejected
Once organ failure patients receive the gift of a transplant, they face a life-long threat of immune rejection. Their im ...
SEP 02, 2021
Immunology
Will an Extra COVID Vaccine Shot Benefit People With Autoimmune Conditions?
SEP 02, 2021
Will an Extra COVID Vaccine Shot Benefit People With Autoimmune Conditions?
The global rollout of COVID-19 vaccines has helped save countless lives during the pandemic. Studies have shown that vac ...
AUG 31, 2021
Health & Medicine
Your metabolism does slow down as you age, but not until you're over 60
AUG 31, 2021
Your metabolism does slow down as you age, but not until you're over 60
A new study shows that, yes, your metabolism does slow down as you age, but not until you're over 60
AUG 31, 2021
Health & Medicine
People Who Have Had SARS-CoV-2 Infection Have Longer-Lasting Immunity Than Those Who Were Vaccinated Only
AUG 31, 2021
People Who Have Had SARS-CoV-2 Infection Have Longer-Lasting Immunity Than Those Who Were Vaccinated Only
Consider yourself among the luckiest if you made a full recovery from infection with SARS-CoV-2, especially if you were ...
SEP 05, 2021
Microbiology
Gut Bacteria May Influence Infant Brain Development
SEP 05, 2021
Gut Bacteria May Influence Infant Brain Development
Our health is closely connected to the community of microbes we carry in our gut. For example, these microbes have a pow ...
SEP 20, 2021
Genetics & Genomics
Clinical Trial of CRISPR-Based HIV Treatment Set to Begin
SEP 20, 2021
Clinical Trial of CRISPR-Based HIV Treatment Set to Begin
Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is a retrovirus, which is a type of virus that can write its genetic material into th ...
Loading Comments...