SEP 18, 2018 5:07 PM PDT

Study Investigates Why People Like Bees and Dislike Wasps

WRITTEN BY: Anthony Bouchard

Bees and wasps share a lot in common; the clear majority of both sport the familiar black and yellow color scheme, retain unpleasant stingers for self-defense and play an instrumental role in pollinating the surrounding environment.

Despite these similarities, bees have a reputation for being a lot more loveable than wasps. Ask almost anyone you know, and they’ll probably tell you how bees are fantastic and wasps are the bane of their existence. But why is that?

Wasps are just as important as bees, so why does the public hate the former and prefer the latter?

Image Credit: Pixabay

Curious researchers from the University College London wanted to solve this mystery, and so they surveyed 748 people from 46 different countries to learn more about our perception of these insects. Their results appear this week in the journal Ecological Entomology

"It's clear we have a very different emotional connection to wasps than to bees—we have lived in harmony with bees for a very long time, domesticating some species, but human-wasp interactions are often unpleasant as they ruin picnics and nest in our homes," explained study lead author Dr. Seirian Sumner.

"Despite this, we need to actively overhaul the negative image of wasps to protect the ecological benefits they bring to our planet. They are facing a similar decline to bees, and that is something the world can't afford."

Related: 21 'new to science' parasitoid wasps described in a new study

The results of the survey reveal the two leading reasons for wasp hatred among people: disinterest in the mechanisms of nature and lack of knowledge surrounding the insects.

But the research didn’t stop there; the team also wanted to know whether researchers were spending as much time studying wasps as they were bees. To do this, they looked back on 908 scientific studies involving bees and wasps over a 37-year period and 2,543 conference presentations involving bees and wasps over a 16-year period.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, just 2.4% of those studies focused on wasps while the other 97.6% focused on bees. Respectively, only 18.7% of conferences looked at wasps, while the other 81.3% gave bees the spotlight.

As the researchers point out, these numbers are far from balanced, and they could explain why the public is so misinformed about wasps in general. The findings are rather alarming considering the decline of pollinating insects in the face of environmental changes associated with climate change.

"Global concern about the decline of pollinators has resulted in a phenomenal level of public interest in, and support of, bees. It would be fantastic if this could be mirrored for wasps but it would need a complete cultural shift in attitudes towards wasps," added study co-author, Dr. Alessandro Cini.

"The first step on the way to this would be for scientists to appreciate wasps more and provide the required research on their economic and societal value, which will then help the public understand the importance of wasps."

Related: Even newer pesticides threaten bees, study finds

Reversing humankind’s hatred for wasps will be challenging given the reputation they’ve earned thus far, but the researchers suggest that the best remedy for the problem might be providing wasps with the same sense of urgency as bees in scientific studies.

Source: EurekAlert, Ecological Entomology

About the Author
  • Fascinated by scientific discoveries and media, Anthony found his way here at LabRoots, where he would be able to dabble in the two. Anthony is a technology junkie that has vast experience in computer systems and automobile mechanics, as opposite as those sound.
You May Also Like
JUN 05, 2020
Earth & The Environment
The mangrove threshold with sea level rise
JUN 05, 2020
The mangrove threshold with sea level rise
A new study published in the journal Science reports grim news for mangroves: until humans drastically reduce greenhouse ...
JUN 08, 2020
Earth & The Environment
Unlocking Deep Ocean Mysteries with eDNA
JUN 08, 2020
Unlocking Deep Ocean Mysteries with eDNA
The ocean remains largely unexplored, and the ocean’s twilight zone is of key interest to researchers. Named for t ...
JUL 16, 2020
Plants & Animals
Almost All Wild Bee-Plant Networks Have Been Disrupted or Lost
JUL 16, 2020
Almost All Wild Bee-Plant Networks Have Been Disrupted or Lost
In the wild, bees rely on the flora and fauna in their environment to survive. Networks of plants and their pollinators ...
JUL 27, 2020
Neuroscience
Bigger Brains Linked to More Manual Dexterity in Apes
JUL 27, 2020
Bigger Brains Linked to More Manual Dexterity in Apes
Although people are very skilled at using their hands, they take a long time to master how to use them. Meanwhile, for m ...
AUG 12, 2020
Immunology
Is Gluten Becoming More Immunoreactive?
AUG 12, 2020
Is Gluten Becoming More Immunoreactive?
In recent years, the number of people diagnosed with celiac disease has increased drastically, even with many undiagnose ...
SEP 29, 2020
Earth & The Environment
Using native wild species to improve crop breeding and production
SEP 29, 2020
Using native wild species to improve crop breeding and production
New research from the University of Portsmouth and Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, highlights the concern that global farmin ...
Loading Comments...