APR 12, 2021 4:02 PM PDT

5,200 Tons of Space Dust Fall to Earth Each Year

WRITTEN BY: Annie Lennon

An international team of scientists has found that each year, 5,200 tons of dust falls from space to Earth. This far outweighs the larger meteorites that fall to our planet, reaching just 9 tons each year, making these tiny particles the most abundant source of extraterrestrial material on Earth. 

Over 20 years, researchers led by physicist Jean Duprat from the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) have made six expeditions to Antarctica to collect particle samples. There, layers of space dust are preserved well enough for researchers to estimate how much falls to Earth each year. 

To access these layers, over the 20 year period, the researchers dug out several large trenches of snow weighing 20 kilograms each and returned them to the lab in their research station. There, they melted away the snow and collected the remaining dust particles before sorting them and removing contaminants like fibers from the researchers'researchers' gloves. 

In doing so, they were able to extrapolate their findings to estimate that 5,200 tons of small particles ranging from 30 to 200 micrometers in diameter fall to Earth every year. As most of the space rock that enters the Earth's atmosphere burns up, the researchers estimated that around 15,000 tons of space dust enter the atmosphere each year, with just a third reaching the Earth'sEarth's surface. 

They further said that around 80% of the dust likely originates from comets called Jupiter-period comets- small comets controlled by Jupiter'sJupiter's gravity. Meanwhile, the remaining 20% of dust likely comes from asteroids.

The researchers said that understanding more about how extraterrestrial material makes its way to Earth could help us better understand how different elements and molecules necessary for life, like carbon and water, arrived on our planet. Knowing this would in turn allow us to better understand how life originally emerged on Earth. 

 

Sources: Science AlertLive ScienceEarth and Planetary Science Letters 

About the Author
  • Science writer with a keen interest in behavioral biology, consciousness medicine and technology. Her current focus is how the interplay of these fields can create meaningful interactions, products and environments.
You May Also Like
NOV 02, 2020
Space & Astronomy
Never-Found-Before Molecule Detected in Titan's Atmosphere
NOV 02, 2020
Never-Found-Before Molecule Detected in Titan's Atmosphere
Astronomers have detected Cyclopropenylidene (C3H2) on Titan, one of Saturn's 53 confirmed moons. While the molecule ...
NOV 13, 2020
Space & Astronomy
Researchers Observe the Birth of a Magnetar
NOV 13, 2020
Researchers Observe the Birth of a Magnetar
Scientists think they have witnessed the birth of a magnetar for the first time, when a massive burst of gamma rays took ...
DEC 05, 2020
Space & Astronomy
First Sunspot Image From World's Largest Solar Telescope
DEC 05, 2020
First Sunspot Image From World's Largest Solar Telescope
The National Science Foundation's Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope produced this stunning image of a sunspot earlier thi ...
MAR 09, 2021
Space & Astronomy
Meteorite Parked in UK Driveway May Hold Clues to Planet Formation, Early Life
MAR 09, 2021
Meteorite Parked in UK Driveway May Hold Clues to Planet Formation, Early Life
Hayabusa2 and OSIRIS-REx have spent years trying to intercept asteroids & collect samples. This meteor made it a little ...
MAY 01, 2021
Space & Astronomy
Small Galaxies Played Key Role in Evolution of the Universe
MAY 01, 2021
Small Galaxies Played Key Role in Evolution of the Universe
Astrophysicists from the University of Minnesota have found evidence for the theory that small galaxies emitting high-en ...
MAY 04, 2021
Space & Astronomy
Part of a Chinese Rocket is Expected to Fall to Earth Soon
MAY 04, 2021
Part of a Chinese Rocket is Expected to Fall to Earth Soon
In the next few days, part of a rocket that put China's new space station into orbit will fall back to Earth in an uncon ...
Loading Comments...