Setting up an analytical laboratory requires a clear objective and analytical resources, both instrumentation and technical. The four main areas of focus exist during this process:
1) Instrumentation and Method Development
2) Sample Flow, Tracking, and Traceability
3) Data Analysis, Data Management, and Reporting
4) Quality Assurance and Proficiency
Several tools and technology can be leveraged to assist in establishing an efficient laboratory, including Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), and a Document Management Program. These tools will aid in not only sample traceability and workflow needs, but also accreditation requirements.
1. Understanding the basic elements needed to setup an analytical laboratory
2. Knowing hot topics and potential pitfalls to avoid during this process